Fishoil contains omega3.
Omega3 contains DHA.
Fishoil contains 3 kinds of omega3:
- Alpha linolenic acid (ALA)
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
In fishoil supplements, DHA works as a braincell enhancer:
- Our human brain contains 8% of omega3 fatty acids.
- The human nervous system contains even more fatty tissues like omega3.
It’s fair to say therefore omega3 is extremely important for brain functions and overall nervous system quality.
For the biochemical structure of fishoil read this Wiki page.
The main reason why DHA gets you nootropic effects:
DHA is the only fatty acid used to make braincell membranes more dense.
Did you just read that and do you understand the importance of this?
Imagine braincell membranes as “braincell walls”.
1. The human brain contains 8% fatty omega3 acids.
2. DHA is the only component known for strengthening braincell membranes.
3. Your braincells will actually live longer when you consume DHA!
How much fish do you need to eat for your brain?
According to most health organizations, people should eat (fatty) fish 2x to 5x per week. Who really does that?
So the conclusion is that fishoil supplements are essential as the vast majority of people doesn’t eat enough fish according these health organisations.
Foods containing the highest amount of fishoil?
These are the top 5 sources for quality high amounts of fishoil (omega3, DHA):
Scientific studies and references on fishoil and its positive nootropic effects.
These studies on how fishoil correlates with brain enhancing are just handful of what’s available. There are many more out there on PubMed.
Pre-clinical studies published in 2005 indicate that DHA improves memory and that DHA counteracts the development of Alzheimer’s disease in mice (study).
However, another study of 2010 indicated that DHA supplementation in humans suffering a mild – moderate form of Alzheimer’s disease didn’t benefit DHA supplementation (study). This indicates that DHA is not a cure, it might only prevent brain damage.
A rich diet in DHA protects victims who suffered brain damage (protects against strokes): These tests indicate that you can recovered faster from a stroke when you consume high amounts of fishoil (study).
Fishoil improves blood supply to the brain when experimented on healthy subjects (study).
High DHA levels might improve verbal cognition (fluidity) with elderly, as high fluidly verbal cognition correlates with high DHA levels.
Higher DHA-levels in adults correlate with improving mental flexability, working-memory and improving vocabulary (study)
A study of healthy young adults states that after six months of daily dose of fish oil (Lovaza) improves working memory (study).
This study shows that young people who eat more fish than average improve their reaction time. They could also could remember things more easily.
DHA supplementation from algae for a period of six months reduces the heart rate and improves memory. This was the conlcusion of 2 studies with healthy adults over 50 who suffered mild memory problems (study 1, 2).
22 other positive omega3 health benefits (non-nootropic):
1) Fishoil works anti-inflammatory.
2) Improves cognition and mood.
3) It reduces the risk of getting a stroke.
4) It improves the supply of blood to the brain.
5) Fishoils prevent aggression.
6) Reduces joint pain.
7) Reduces triglyceride levels.
8) It regulates cholesterol values (disputed among scientists)
9) Omega3 promotes the cardiovascular system.
10) Decreases the risk of diabetes.
11) It promotes weight loss
12) Fishoil improves healing processes.
13) EPA and DHA provide improved fertility. Testicles consist of a lot of omega3 value 😉
14) It promotes development of the fetus.
15) Fishoil protects eyes, skin and kidneys.
16) It helps with gastrointestinal disorders.
17) Omega3 supports thyroid glands and reduces infections.
18) Omega3 reduces muscle fatigue.
19) Fishoil is known to reduce the risk of some cancers.
20) It decreases the negative effects of ADHD in children.
21) It works neuroprotective.
22) DHA can resolve to some degree the symptoms of epilepsy, detoxification, psoriasis and possibly counteracts the aging process.
How to choose a quality fishoil supplement?
We recommend using fishoil capsules containing high amounts of DHA.
Just try to find a fishoil supplement with a lot of DHA in comparison with other supplements.
When you compare these supplements, it is adviced to calculate how much you need to pay per DHA.